The province capital and major centre in the Valbelluna, the town rises on a rocky spur at the junction of the Ardo strem with the Piave river. The Dolomite Schiara group (2565 mt), the Serva and the Talvena mountains are to the north, and the Nevegàl skiing amphitheater to the south. The different dominations, especially the Venetian, left remarkable Gothic and Renaissance palaces.
- Altitude: 389 m a.s.l
- Population: about 36,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 32100, 32024
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0437
- Patron Saint: St. Martino, celebrated on 11th November and San Gioatà
- GPS Coordinates: 46.8.27.N, 12.12.56.E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Frazioni & Localities: Antole, Bes, Bolzano Bellunese, Caleipo-Sossai, Castion, Castoi, Cavessago, Cet, Chiesurazza, Cirvoi, Col di Piana, Col di Salce, Collungo, Cusighe, Faverga, Fiammoi, Giamosa, Giazzoi, Levego, Madeago, Miér, Nevegal, Orzes, Pedeserva, Pra de Luni, Rivamaor, Safforze, Sala, Salce, San Pietro in Campo, Sopracroda, Sois, Sossai, Tassei, Tisoi, Vezzano, Vignole, Visome.
The name derives probably from a Celtic expression "belo-dunum" meaning shining hill. Belluno was a Roman town, then a fortified medieval borough, and from 1404 was under the rule of Venice.
What to see
- The typical Venetian architectures of the Piazza dei Martiri, the heart of the town, with a typical long pavement called Listòn, a popular meeting place of the inhabitants
- The Piazza del Mercato, which rises on the place of the ancient Roman forum
- The Cathedral
- The Rettori Palace in the Piazza Duomo, a Renaissance project of 1491 now hosting the Prefettura
- The Clock Tower
- The Civic Musem, with fine works of the 15th and 18th century.
- The "sagra de i fisciòt" (=festival of whistles), celebrated on the second Sunday before Easter, established in 1716 with a procession carrying the statue of the Sorrowful Virgin, with the heart pierced by seven swords, from the church of Santo Stefano. On the occasion the mountain villagers came to the town to sell their wookwork, among them the whistles.
- The Fair of San Martino, on 11 November, with antique market and a competition of wood carving.
Where to stay
- Official Website of the Comune of Belluno.