Surnames in Umbria, Italy
The lists of surnames were derived from the white pages of the 1990's for the recent lists, and from sources as indexes of births, "numerazioni", catasti onciari, parish records for previous centuries.
Surnames in the Provinces of Umbria
- Between 3000 and 5000: Rossi
- Between 2000 and 3000: Fiorucci, Moretti, Proietti, Ricci,
- Between 1000 and 2000: Bellucci, Benedetti, Bianchi, Castellani, Ceccarelli, Mancini, Mariani, Minelli, Passeri, Rosati
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Surnames in the province of
Origin of Surnames
- Some typical Umbrian surnames are Alunni, Gubbiotti, Pannacci, Roscini.
- Patronymics are very widespread, as Petrino, Costantino, Benedetto, Mariotto, Angelo, Tommaso, Brunetto and Donato, also with suffixes in -elli (Antonelli, Ceccarelli), -etti ( Benedetti, Menichetti), -ini (Cecchini, Sabatini, Venturini).
- Some typical Umbrian surnames derived from nicknames are Barbarossa, Bevilacqua, Bracalenti (= loose trousers), Ciancaleoni (=lion's paw), Conti, Capotosti, Mancini, Mezzasoma (= half measure), Ricci, Rosato, Toccaceli (=touch heaven).
- Foundlings were given the surnames Proietti or Alunni (=raised by nurses).
- Also present are surnames of Languebard origin as Baldoni, Nardi, Federici.