A Guide to the Abruzzo Region, Italy
The Abruzzo region, in the heart of Italy at the same latitude as Rome - which is only 100 km away - was historically linked to Southern Italy. Explore the over 300 municipalities, the territory, traditions and monuments of this rugged landscape inhabited by "strong and gentle" people.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Online since 1997, the Abruzzo portal has the mission to:
- provide insight into the culture, history, traditions, art, architecture of towns and villages in the Abruzzi region and to help the descendants of the Abruzzese who left their region for remote destinations all over the world to rediscover their roots.
- help in genealogy research, connecting with relatives, planning visits to the ancestors' homestead.
- honor the heritage of the Abruzzese shepherds, peasants, artists and craftsmen, saints and brigands, the master goldsmiths and artisans of woodcarving and wrought iron, the stone carvers, masons and architects that built the fortresses, monasteries, palaces and boroughs in harmony with the astounding, rugged landscape of the "strong and gentle" Abruzzo people.
Abruzzo: Position, History & Etymology | Events | Abruzzo Songs | Hotels, Agritourism, Residences & Holiday Homes, Campsites & Tourist Villages.
Published since 2001 and at first devoted to provide articles on Abruzzo, its traditions, landscape and monuments, history and research, has enlarged to cover other fields of the Italian experience. Updates: Images from the Perdonanza of 2009
Abruzzo News Archive
An archive of over 5000 excerpts of news of interest for the Abruzzese in the world, from 1999 to 2005, with indexes by date and subject.
Suggested one-day visits in Abruzzo, through castles, churches, ancient boroughs and natural parks.
Guestbook & Forums
In the Spotlight
- THE PRESS: Google News | search for "Il Centro" and "Il Messaggero" online (most articles not free)
- MUSEUMS: National Museums in Abruzzo | Museo delle Genti d'Abruzzo
- CULTURE: Abruzzese Recipes | The Lunario
- TRAVEL: Abruzzo Buses | Trains in Italy | Google Maps
- SERVICES: White Pages for Italy | Zip Codes | Evangelical Centers | Italian Foreign Ministry
- DIRECTORIES & REFERENCE: Wikipedia on Abruzzo | Official website of the Abruzzo Administration
- Davide's Story - The fight of Davide's parents from L'Aquila against Canavan disease.
- Angelo Sciulli - nature photography as a life choice to defeat ALS.
- Traditional Abruzzo songs with booklet of lyrics by Trio99, an Aquilan music group.
- La missione di Celestino and more books by Angelo De Nicola on San Pietro Celestino and Abruzzo.
- In Cammino - Ethno-photography & articles by Vincenzo Battista.
- John Fante - Articles by P. Di Vincenzo on the Italian-American writer from Abruzzo.
- Torricella - Community of torricellani in the world.