Surnames in Sicily, Italy
The lists of surnames were derived from the white pages of the 1990's for the recent lists, and from sources as indexes of births, "numerazioni", catasti onciari, parish records for previous centuries.
Surnames in the Provinces of Sicily
The most common surnames in Sicily are:
- over 5000: Russo;
- 3,000-4,000: Caruso, Lombardo, Marino, Messina, Rizzo;
- 2,000-3,000: Amato, Arena, Costa, Grasso, Greco, Romano, Parisi, Puglisi, La Rosa, Vitale;
- 1,500-2,000: Bruno, Catalano, Pappalardo, Randazzo.
- See also Wikipedia's page
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Surnames Divided by Region
- Province of Agrigento: Siculiana | San Biagio Platani | Linosa | Cianciana | Bivona
- Province of Caltanissetta: Sommatino | Serradifalco | Butera | Acquaviva Platani | Delia
- Province of Catania: Piedimonte Etneo | Castel di Iudica | San Michele di Ganzaria | Mazzarrone | Maletto
- Province of Enna: Aidone | Assoro | Catenanuova | Cerami | Gagliano Castelferrato
- Province of Messina: Rodì Milici | Mazzarrà Sant'Andrea | Montagnareale | Ficarra | Militello Rosmarino | Itala
- Province of Palermo: Vicari | Mezzojuso | Roccapalumba | Baucina | Aliminusa
- Province of Ragusa: Acate
- Province of Siracusa: Sortino | Buccheri | Canicattini Bagni | Ferla | Solarino
- Province of Trapani: Custonaci | Buseto Palizzolo | Favignana | Vita
Origin of Surnames
As regards their origin, Sicilian surnames reflect the presence of multiple cultures, languages and influences, but also share common features with the rest of Southern Italy; indeed, many surnames are also common in Calabria (Caruso, Lombardo, Marino, Rizzo), Puglia (Giuffrida, Greco, Longo) and Campania (Bruno, Ferrara, Giordano, Marino, Romano, Russo).
- The most common patronymics are Basile, Di Mauro, Di Salvo, Di Stefano, Giuffrida, Leonardi, Orlando, Vitale.
- Others derive from medieval names, mostly augural, such as Bellomo, Bonaccorso, Bonanno, Bonfiglio, Bongiorno, Bonsignore.
- Among the surnames derived from crafts we have Balistreri (=crossbow maker), Cannizzaro (=thatched roof maker), Cammareri (=waiter), Cavallaro, Ferraro, Finocchiaro (=farmer of fennels), Impellizzeri (=fur maker), Maniscalco, Scuderi (=squire), Spadaro - Spataro (=sword maker), Vaccaro.
- Surnames derived from nicknames are Mancuso (=left-handed), Occhipinti (=painted eyes), Pappalardo (=lard eater), Quattrocchi (=four eyed).
- Common surnames related to the place of origin are Calabrese, Catalano, Cosentino, Genovese, Provenzano, Puglisi, Toscano, Tarantino.
- Finally, there are surnames given to foundlings, such as Di Dio or Trovato, and matronymics (connected to an ancestress) such as Alessandra, Emma, Greca.