Italian Archives online
Resources available online on the Antenati Portal are mostly civil records, though parish records are included as well in some archives in central and Northern Italy, where civil records were introduced for a short time under the Napoleonic occupation (1806-1814). In Southern Italy instead, in the territories of the former Kingdom of Naples (or Kingdom of the Two Sicilies) civil records were introduced in 1809 and continued to be kept without any interruptions to our days.
Historical Periods of the Civil Records
The divisions by period reflect the political history of Italy and are as follows:
- Stato Civile Napoleonico: from 1809 to 1815 for the Kingdom of Naples, earlier for Northern Italy.
- Stato Civile della Restaurazione:only for the Kingdom of Naples, from 1816 to 1860 or 1865.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Sections on Italian Genealogy
- Stato Civile Italiano: usually from 1861 or 1865 Southern Italy, from 1866 for places in central and northern Italy, sometimes reaching up to the early decades of the 20th century. The registers of the Italian "Uffici di Stato Civile" kept in the State Archives include the second copy of the records of birth, marriage, death, citizenship and some others, received from the local Tribunals together with sometimes indexes and attachments. For most places in Central and Northern Italy, offices started to keep records from about 1870 as established by royal decree no. 2602 on 15 November 1865.
Online Records in the Antenati Portal by Province
The records are divided according to the present subdivision of Provinces. However, before the 1920's some provinces had not yet been established, and older records (Napoleonic and Restoration) may be published under a previous province.
- Abruzzo: Chieti | L'Aquila | Pescara | Teramo not yet online
- Basilicata: Matera | Potenza
- Calabria: Catanzaro | Reggio Calabria
- Campania: Avellino | Benevento | Caserta | Napoli | Salerno
- Emilia-Romagna: Forlì | Modena | Reggio Emilia
- Friuli-Venezia Giulia: Udine | Trieste
- Lazio: Frosinone (not yet online | Latina | Rieti | Roma | Viterbo
- Liguria: Genova | Imperia | Imperia, section of Ventimiglia | Imperia, section of San Remo | La Spezia | Savona
- Lombardia: Bergamo | Brescia | Como | Cremona | Mantova
- Marche: Ascoli Piceno | Macerata | Pesaro | Pesaro, section of Fano | Pesaro, section of Urbino
- Molise: Campobasso | Isernia
- Piemonte: Asti | Cuneo | Torino | Verbania
- Puglia: Bari | Lecce | Taranto
- Sicilia: Agrigento | Caltanissetta | Catania | Enna | Messina | Palermo | Ragusa | Trapani
- Toscana: Arezzo | Firenze | Grosseto | Lucca | Prato
- Veneto: Belluno | Padova | Treviso | Venezia | Verona | Vicenza, section of Bassano del Grappa