Traditions and Events in Italy
Traditions in Italy divided by date & Events, most of them repeated each year or periodically, classified by region.
- Christmastime traditions | Events by Month | Events by Region | Traditional Foods and Drinks | Recipes | Carnival
Food and Drinks
- How to make Italian-style coffee
- The Zibibbo of Pantelleria
- The "Americano" cocktail
- History of Nutella
- Insalata caprese
- History of Panettone
- A dish of times gone by: Pasta e fagioli
- The History of "Risotto alla Milanese"
- Polenta: a traditional Italian dish
- Regional recipes, in Italian
- Traditional energising Italian liqueur: VOV
Events & news in the Spotlight
- Spring 2014: The Riace bronzes are back
- 27 April 2014: the Canonizations of John XXIII and John Paul II
- the The Italian electoral system and the elections of February 2013
- The Times, 28 Aug 2010, The pilgrim path to Rome, 75 days on foot, by Brian Mooney (subscribers only) - features a walking itinerary along the Via Francigena.
- The Independent, 21 Aug 2010, The Big Six: Italian island retreats, by Aoife O'Riordain: Six luxury hotels in Capri, Taormina, Salina, Capo Spartivento, Torcello Pantelleria.
- 67th Venice Film Festival, Lido di Venezia, 1-11 September 2010
- Daily Mail, 28 June 2010, Best of Italy's art cities: Florence, Pisa, Naples, Rome, Milan and Genoa, by Marina Fiorato: "My novel The Botticelli Secret is a detective story that travels through the most beautiful cities of Renaissance Italy. At its heart is Botticelli's famous painting Primavera, which hangs in Florence's Uffizi Gallery. Does the painting conceal an extraordinary mystery..."
- April 19th - June June 24th: Exposition 2015 of the Holy Shroud, Turin Cathedral. A Mass is to be celebrated in Piazza Vittorio, Turin, by Pope Francis on Sunday 21 June, at 10:45 (pass required, must be booked by 15 May 2015 at http://www.sindone.org)
- May 1st - October 31st 2015: Expo 2015 - the next Universal Exposition after Expo 2012, hosted by Milan, Italy. It is the second time Milan hosts the exposition, the first was in 1906.
- Elections in Italy: The Italian electoral system
- President's election: Giorgio Napolitano
- The Letta government: Enrico Letta