Surnames in Lazio, Italy
The lists of surnames were derived from the white pages of the 1990's for the recent lists, and from sources as indexes of births, "numerazioni", catasti onciari, parish records for previous centuries.
Surnames in the Provinces of Lazio
Follow ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Surnames in the province of
- Over 20,000: Rossi;
- between 10,000 and 15,000: De Angelis, De Santis, Mancini, Ricci;
- between 6,000 and 10,000: Bianchi, Conti, De Luca, Mariani, Proietti, Russo;
- between 4,000 and 6,000: Ceccarelli, Giuliani, Lombardi, Marchetti, Marini, Moretti, Romano, Rosati, Valentini.
Origin of Surnames
- Surnames typical of Lazio are Proietti (surname given to foundlings), Felici, Bonanni and Fabrizi.
- Many of the surnames in Rome and Lazio originated from personal names, for example Angelo, Antonio, Rinaldo, Paolo and Francesco (Cecco), gave rise to such surnames as Angelucci, Antonucci, Rinaldi, Paolucci, Ceccarelli, respectively.
- On the other hand, surnames derived from trades, places of origin and nicknames are less common than in other regions.