Surnames in Sardegna, Italy
The lists of surnames were derived from the white pages of the 1990's for the recent lists, and from sources as indexes of births, "numerazioni", catasti onciari, parish records for previous centuries.
Surnames in the Provinces of Sardegna
- Province of Cagliari: Castiadas | Settimo San Pietro | Villa San Pietro
- Province of Nuoro: Baunei | Villagrande Strisaili
- Province of Oristano: Asuni | Siapiccia
- Province of Sassari: Bulzi | Cargeghe | Putifigari | Romana | Tergu
- Province of Sud Sardegna: Gesico | Pauli Arbarei | Villanovaforru
The geographical isolation of the region and its political separation until the 18th century limited the diffusion of surnames from other areas of Italy, and there are a number of surnames typically Sardinian, the most common being: Dessi, Lai, Melis, Mereu, Mura, Murgia, Pinna, Piras, Puddu, Sanna, Serra.
- A number of surnames have endings -s or -u, directly derived from Latin
- Among the surnames derived from nicknames in the Sardinian language the most common are: Mereu (dark-skinned, or dark-haired), Pinna (= nostrils), Sanna (= teeth), Spanu (= red-haired), Virdis (= olive-skinned), Manca (= left-handed), Canu (= with white hair), Nieddu (= black), Pintus (= painted).
- The surnames derived from jobs connected with the ancestral activities of the region, namely agriculture, farming, sheep breeding, are: Melis and Piras (= apple, pear), Murtas (= blueberry), Floris (= flower), Mele (= honey), Vacca (= cow), Fenu (= hay), Puddu (= chicken), Pilloni (= bird), Lodde (= fox).
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook