Simon Stock was then Prior General of the Carmelite order, founded on Mount Carmel in the 12th century: the beauty of this mountain is celebrated in the Bible in several passages in which the prophet Elijah challenged and defeated the priests of Baal, and it was here that, according to tradition, the Holy Family stopped coming back from Egypt.
16 July: Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Therefore it was decided to carry the statue on a procession in the evening of 16th November 1894; while almost all the population was in two large squares a disastrous earthquake destroyed the town, but almost all the inhabitants were spared. The miracle was officially recognized by the Vatican. In the photo below, the day after the earthquake.