Marostica, Province of Vicenza, Veneto
Situated just below the Asiago plateau, near the Brenta river, Marostica is world-famous for the life-size chess game. The event is played every two years on the square of the castle: characters dressed up in medieval costumes take the roles of chess figures; the tradition comes from a medieval legend: there was a chess challenge, the winner would marry the podestà's daughter.
- Population: about 13,900 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 36063
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0424
- Frazioni & Localities: Crosara, Marsan, Pradipaldo, San Luca, Valle San Floriano, Vallonara.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Da Basso Castle, a medieval fortress originally surrounded by a ditch, part of which can still be seen, erected in 1312 by Cangrande Della Scala. The name comes from the existence of another, higher castle: after the latter was severely damaged in the war of the Cambrai League (1509-1510), the podestà (the main medieval authority of the town) moved his residence to the lower (Da Basso) castle.
- The ancient Medieval Center, surrounded by 14th-century walls