Torri del Benaco, Province of Verona, Veneto
- Altitude: 67 m a.s.l
- Population: about 2,600 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 37010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 045
- Frazioni & Localities: Albisano, Pai.
In the 15th century it gained special importance when it was made by the Doge of Venice the headquarters of the Gardesana dell'Acqua (a federation of ten municipalities in the area of Verona) with great privileges and autonomy, and an aim to also stop smuggling to the west bank of the lake.
What to see
- In the area many graffiti on rocks have been found, representing warriors, geometrical figures, animals, boats on the lake.
- The parish church of Saints Peter and Paul, mentioned already in a document dated 1145. The belltower was added in the 18th century, including remains of a tower of the 9th century AD.
- The church of Sant'Antonio, on the road from Torri to the small hamlet of Coi, with a fresco on the outside representing the landscape ias it was in 1660.
- The church of Saints Faustino and Giovita, abot half a mile outside the main center, preserving inside the sepulchre of hermit Pietro Malerba, who died here in 1469, as well as fine frescoes of the 15th century.
- The Castello, which rises on the place of more ancient fortresses established on the spot already on Roman times. The central castle was restored by Antonio della Scala in 1383, partly including an older castle made under king Berengarius in the 9th century AD. The complex includes three towers, one on the lake dating back to Roman times, the two others built in the 14th century.