Legnago, Province of Verona, Veneto
Situated along the Adige, the last town crossed by the river before reaching the Adriatic Sea, at 39 km from Verona, it is in a good strategic position and within easy reach from Mantova, Rovigo, Vicenza and Ferrara. The Adige river is navigable also by large boats, and two impressive iron bridges cross it, connecting Legnago by railway to Monselice and Treviso.
- Altitude: 16 m a.s.l
- Population: about 25,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 37045, 37040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0442
- Patron Saint: St. Martino, celebrated on 11th November
- Frazioni & Localities: Canove, Casette, Porto, San Pietro, San Vito, Terranegra, Vangadizza, Vigo e Torretta.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The town was founded by the Lombards and transformed into a powerful fortress in the early 16th century by architect Sammicheli. The fortress was destroyed by Napoleon, but rebuilt by the Austrians after 1815, and in the 19th century was one of the four strategic fortresses (the so-called Quadrilateral) of the Austrians, with Verona, Peschiera and Mantova.
What to see
- The Museo Civico
- The Torrione, near the cathedral, a few meters form the bridge obver the Adige, this huge tower is the last extant relic of the medieval walls that surrounded Legnago.
- The church of San Salvaro, 2 km from the town in the hamlet of San Pietro, built in the 12th century on a previous chapel, maybe on the site of a Roman temple, as can be seen in reused materials in the crypt; see more information on the Church of San Salvaro
- For cycling lovers, there is a fine cycling track along the Adige River.