LogoLogo

San Donà di Piave, Province of Venezia, Veneto

San Donà di Piave is a modern city completely reconstructed after the First World War, in the eastern territory of the Province, along the Piave river, and was a natural communication center since antiquity. The economy is highly developed thanks to the many industries and the fertility of the fields.

Info

  • Population: about 35000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 30027
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0421
  • Frazioni & Localities: Borgovecchio, Botteghino di Chiesanuova, Calvecchia, Caposile, Chiesanuova, Cittanova, Fiorentina, Fossà, Grassaga, Isiata, Jutificio, Molino di Calvecchia, Mussetta di Sopra, Palazzetto, Passarella, Santa Maria di Piave, Tessere.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Veneto

History - Antiquity

In Roman times the area was covered with forests, which reached the Adriatic seashore. A thin area of sandy dunes divided the woods from the lagoon, where many islands existed, known as the "Melidissa" group. the territory was crossed by the via Annia, built in 131 BC to connect Rome with Aquileia, which was also the shortest route to the Balkans and the Asian provinces.

History - the Middle Ages

After the fall of the Roman empire the population took refuge on the islands. In the Middle Ages the territory was under the rule of the Venetian Republic, and that was also the period of foundation of San Donà. From 1450 onwards it was controlled by the Trevisan family. The town was called San Donà from a chapel of San Donato existing since 1250, and later destroyed during a flood. To protect Venice from the Piave debris, the river was canalized 6 miles to the east, and this caused a great instability in the river flow and the rise of malaria epidemics.

History - Modern Times

In 1806 the town became an independent municipality, and under the Austrian rule there was a remarkable economic growth, which continued with the annexation to Italy. In 1875 an important bridge was built on the Piave and in 1881 a railway connected San Donà to Venice.

The marshy lands were recovered to agriculture by digging canals and with other works, and the whole landscape was changed. The First World War brought great destruction when San Donà, invaded by the Austrians, was razed to the ground by the Italian artillery. The reconstruction and recovering of the marshy lands continued in the 1920's and 1930's, with large areas subtracted also from the sea, thanks to the work of thousands of peasants.

What to see

  • The musem of Bonifacio
  • The Parco Fluviale (river oasis).