Treviso, Province of Treviso, Veneto
Treviso is situated some 15 km south-west the right bank of the Piave river, on the plain between the Gulf of Venice and the Alps, at the confluence of the Sile with the Botteniga. The former flows partly round its walls, the latter through the town; and it has canal communication with the lagoons.
In the past it was a crafts and agricultural center of ironworks, pottery, macaroni, cotton-spinning and rice-husking, paper, printing, brushes, brickyards. Presently it is the seat of the renowned Benetton company.
- Altitude: 16 m a.s.l
- Population: about 80,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 31100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0422
- Patron Saint: St. Liberale, celebrated on 27 April
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Treviso includes the following Frazioni & Localities: Monigo, San Paolo, Santa Bona, San Pelajo, Santa Maria del Rovere, Selvana, Fiera, Sant'Antonino, San Lazzaro, Sant'Angelo, San Giuseppe, Canizzano.
History - Antiquity and the Middle Ages
The ancient Tarvisium was a Roman municipium. It lay off the main roads, and is hardly mentioned by ancient writers, though Pliny speaks of the Silis as flowing "ex montibus Tarvisanis". In the 6th century it was the seat of a Lombard dukedom. Charlemagne made it the capital of a marquisate. It joined the Lombard league, and was independent after the peace of Constance (1183) until in 1339 it came under the Venetian influence. In the 15th century its walls and ramparts (still extant) were renewed under the direction of Fra Giocondo, two of the gates being built by the Lombardi.
History - Modern Times
Treviso was taken in 1797 by the French under Mortier (duke of Treviso). In March 1848 the Austrian garrison was driven frorn the town by the revolutionary party, but in the following June the town was bombarded and compelled to capitulate.
What to see
- The old town, with narrow irregular colonnaded streets and interesting frescoed houses.
- The Monte de Pietà contains an Entombment by an artist of the school of Pordenone (wrongly attributed to Giorgione).
- The Piazza dei Signori contains the picturesque brick palace Salone dcl Gran Consiglio (1184) and the Palazzo del Commune (1268).
- The cathedral of San Pietro, dating from 1141 and restored and enlarged in the 15th century by Pietro Lombardo, with a neo-classical facade added in 1836, has five domes. It contains a fine Annunciation by Titian (1519), an important Adoration of the Shepherds by Paris Bordone (born at Treviso in 1500), and frescoes.
- The Gothic church of San Niccolo' (1310-1352) contains a fine tomb by Tullio Lombardo, and a large altarpiece by Fra Marco Pensabene and others; in the church and adjoining chapter-house are frescoes by Tommaso da Modena (1352), some frescoes by whom (life of Saint Ursula) are also in the Museo Civico.