San Zenone degli Ezzelini, Province of Treviso, Veneto
Situated to the the north-west of the province along the border with the Vicenza province, at the end of the Asolani hills, the town takes its name from the famous Ezzelino family.
- Altitude: 117 m a.s.l
- Population: about 6500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 31020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0423
- Frazioni & Localities: Boschier, Ca' Rinati, Ca' Rainati, Comunella, Liedolo, Sopracastello, Vollone.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The town was under the Ezzelini until the 13th century. In 1237 Ezzelino III and Alberico da Romano conquered Treviso and ruled the area imposing a terror regime, then in 1259 at Cassano d'Adda Ezzelino III was defeated and died in battle, while Alberico took refuge in his castle, which was sieged and taken on 24 august 1260. His enemies killed all his family before his eyes and he was burns in the Carrubio square Treviso.
- Every second Sunday in the month, antique market fair
- First Sunday in August, historical re-enactement of the Ezzelini massacre on the hill near the tower.
What to see
- The Ezzelini Tower, along the road leading to Monte Grappa
- The sanctuary of Madonna del Monte.
- The Renaissance Villa di Rovero in the town center.