Lendinara, Province of Rovigo, Veneto
The town rose along the banks of the Adigetto river, with beautiful palaces along both banks, built in the late Middle Ages when the Lendinara lords were often at war with the Scaligeri family of Verona. In the municipal library rare illuminated manuscripts are preserved.
- Altitude: 9 m a.s.l
- Population: about 12,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 45026
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0425
- Patron Saint: Beata Vergine del Pilastrello, celebrated on 8th September
- GPS Coordinates: 45.5.6.N, 11.36.2.E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of San Biagio, along the right bank of the Adigetto. Built in the 13th century, was renovated in the 16th and again in the 19th century. The facade is similar to Palladio's design of the Church of the Saviour in Venice, with four columns in the center creating an impressive prospect on the river. The church preserves a Visitation of the Virgin to St. Elizabeth by Dosso Dossi from Ferrara, dated 1525, remarkable carved wood furnitures by Luigi Voltolini (1864), and a 17th century crucifix by Giovanni Ponzilacqua.
- The Cathedral of Santa Sofia, with one of the tallest belltowers in Italy, almost 100 meters, a project of the early 19th century by Don Francesco Antonio Baccari. The church was built in 1070 on a previous ancient worship chapel, and contains fine frescos by Giorgio Anselmi from Verona, representing the Triumph of the Church and Transfiguration of Christo. Along the left nave is a painting of great beauty, a Virgin with Child and Angel, dated 1511, by Domenico Mancini from Verona, a painter belonging to the Giorgione school.
- The sanctuary of the Madonna del Pilastrello, possibly the most famous monument in Lendinara, built after some extraordinary events in the late 16th century, a pilgrimage destinations for the population of Polesine. More information on the Sanctuary of Nostra Signora del Pilastrello.
- 16 May and 8 September, celebrations for the Madonna del Pilastrello.