Badia Polesine, Province of Rovigo, Veneto
- Altitude: 11 m a.s.l
- Population: about 10,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 45021
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0425
- Patron Saint: St. Teobaldo, celebrated on 1st July
- Frazioni & Localities: Barchetta, Bovazecchino-Serraglio, Ca' Bulgaron, Colombano, Crocetta, Fornaci, Masetti, Nezzo, Orti, Rosta, Salvaterra, Villa d'Adige, Villa Fora
- GPS Coordinates: 45.6.N, 11.30.E
Under the Austrian rule many public works were made, such as the building of the hospital and a theatre. In 1866 the town was included in the Kingdom of Italy, and in the following years a railway was built, connecting also two important industries Mulino Finzi and a Sugar Mill by a wooden bridge across the Adige. The bridge was later remade in iron, and destroyed in 1945 during WW2. The reconstructed bridge in concrete and steel connects the town to the province of Padua.
What to see
- The Vangadizza monastery, with a beautiful cloister of the 12th century containing ancient works of art and a sarcophagus of the 3rd century AD. The large part of the church was demolished in the 19th century, the only extant section is a chapel with dome hosting a painting representing a Madonna della Vangadizza, a work by Filippo Zaniberti. In the square before the chapel there are the sepulchres of two members of the Este family
- The 12th-century church of San Giovanni Battista , where many of the items of the monastery were moved, among them an ancient wooden statue of the Madonna della Vangadizza and the reliques of San Teobaldo.
- Oratory of the Beata Vergine della Salute, whose construction was ordered by Giovanni Francesco Loredan in 1719, with a magnificent altar in multi-colored marbles.
- The Teatro Sociale, built in 1813 by Bartolomeo Dente, resembling the "fenice" in Venice, considered one of the most ebautiful theaters in the region.
- The Civic Museum Baruffaldi, preserving items of the history of the place, among them a model of the floating mill on the Adige river and a 16th-century painting of the Last Supper by Girolamo Bonsignori.