LogoLogo

Adria, Province of Rovigo, Veneto

The ancient Adria was divided into two parts by the Canal Bianco that allowed the irrigation of the fields. The Etruscan city of Atria underlies the modern city, 3-4 meters below the current level. Atria gave its name at that early period to the Adriatic Sea, to which it was connected through a number of waterways.

Info

  • Altitude: 4 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 20,000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 45011
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0426
  • Patron Saint: Saints Peter and Paul, celebrated on 29th June
  • Frazioni & Localities: Baricetta, Bellombra, Bottrighe, Ca'Emo, Ca'Tron, Campelli, Canareggio, Canton, Canton Basso, Capitello, Case Beviacqua, Case Matte, Cavanella Po, Chiavica Pignatta, Corcrevà, Fasana Polesine, Fienile Santissimo, Forcarigoli, Isolella, Mazzorno Sinistro, Montefalche, Palazzon, Passetto, Piantamelon, Sabbioni, San Pietro Basso, Tiro A Segno, Valliera, Voltascirocco
  • GPS Coordinates: 45.3.N, 12.3.E
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Veneto

History - Antiquity

The territory of the primitive Adria was mainly swamps encircled by the rivers and the sea, and the pre-historic populations lived on stilt houses, as shown by archeological excavations. It was an Etruscan port for Felsina (Bologna). In the 4th century BC it was occupied by the Greeks and became their most important trade center in the Po plain.

Pliny the Elder wrote about a system of channels in Atria that was, "first made by the Tuscans [Etruscans], thus discharging the flow of the river across the marshes of the Atriani called the Seven Seas, with the famous harbor of the Tuscan town of Atria which formerly gave the name of Atriatic to the sea now called the Adriatic." The "Seven Seas" mentioned by the Roman historian were interlinked coastal lagoons, separated from the open sea by sandspits and islands.

History - the Middle Ages

Under the Byzantines (Eastern Roman Empire) occupation the town lost importance in favour of Ravenna, while the continued siltation of the Po delta moved the seafront eastward so that today Adria is about 22 km from the sea.

After the Lombard invasions, Adria, protected by the lagoon and the Po and Adige river, was an important military and trade center. In the 9th century it was under the rule of bishop-counts, but in later centuries the communal institutons developed replacing religious authority.

History - Modern Times

From the early 16th century it came under the direct rule of the Venetian Republic, then from 1797 passed under the Austrians until 1866, when it became part of the Italian Kingdom.

What to see

  • The "Museo Septem Maria".

Where to stay

Useful Links