Abano Terme, Province of Padova, Veneto
Abano Terme (called Abano Bagni until 1930) - pronounced with an accent on the first A - is situated on eastern slope of the Colli Euganei 6 miles southwest of Padua, and is a well-known spa resort, with waters at 80 degrees centigrade, rich of salt, brome and iodine.
- Altitude: 14 m a.s.l
- Population: about 18,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 35031
- Dialing Area Code: +39 049
- Patron Saint: St. Lorenzo, celebrated on 10 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Feriole, Giarre, Monteortone, Monterosso.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The town's hot springs and mud baths were known to the Romans as Aponi fons or Aquae Patavinae. Some remains of the ancient baths have been discovered. An oracle of Geryon lay near, and the so-called "sortes Praenestinae", small bronze cylinders inscribed and used as oracles were found in the area in the 16th century.
What to see
- The church of San Lorenzo
- The sanctuary of Monteortone, 3 km ouside the town, with frescoes by Jacopo from Montagnana.
- The Benedictine monastery of Praglia, 6 km to the West, founded in 1080.