One of the most enchanting fortified towns in Veneto, Feltre rises in the center of a natural amphitheater of rare beauty at the feet of the Prealps. The medieval center is a maze of evocative alleys, scenographic squares on which buildings and monuments show the visitor the rich historical and artistic heritage of the center.
- Altitude: 325 m a.s.l
- Population: about 19,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 32032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0439
- Patron Saint: Saints Vittore and Corona, celebrated on 14th May
- GPS Coordinates: 46.1.N, 11.54.E
- Frazioni & Localities: Anzù, Arson, Canal, Cart, Cellarda, Croci, Farra, Foen, Grum, Lamen, Lasen, Mugnai, Nemeggio, Pont, Pren, Sanzan, Tomo, Umin, Vellai, Vignui, Villabruna, Villaga, Villapaiera, Zermen.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In the 14th century Feltre linked its own fate to Venice and lived through a splendid age, with Humanism growing through great talents. In 1509-10 the troops of Maximilian Hapsburg invaded, conquered and plundered the citadel. The city was reconstructed on the ruins of the old gothic architecture, with splendid palaces and churches, all decorated with frescoes.
When Venice slowly decayed, Feltre followed its destiny, and was swept away by the wind of the revolutionary French in 1797, being delivered with the treaty of Campoformio to Austria; only in 1866 it was returned to the reign of Italy.
What to see
- The Civic Musem
- Galleria d'Arte Moderna Carlo Rizzarda.