Aosta, Valle d'Aosta Region
Aosta is the main city of the Valle d'Aosta region in the Italian Alps, at the Italian side of the Mont Blanc Tunnel. The fertile valley borders some of Europe's highest mountains, including the Cervino or Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa and Gran Paradiso. The valley also borders the neighbouring countries of France and Switzerland.
- Altitude: 583m a.s.l
- Population: about 35,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 11100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0165
- Frazioni & Localities: Arpuilles, Cache, Champailler, Cossan, Entrebin, Excenex, Laravoire, Porossan, Seyssinod, Signayes, Vignole
- Patron Saint: St. Grato, celebrated on 7th September.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Aosta's strategic importance lay in its position on the Italian side of the Great St. Bernard Pass, the most ancient pass through the Western Valais Alps, which was already ancient when the Romans founded Augusta Praetoria Salassorum. The title of the local Duke of Aosta was the courtesy title of the eldest son of the King of Italy, of the House of Savoy. The city was the birthplace of St. Anselm of Canterbury.
What to see
- Museo del Tesoro della Cattedrale
- The Museo Archeologico Regionale