Trevi, Province of Perugia, Umbria
Trevi (Latin: Trebiae), an ancient town in east central Umbria on the lower flank of Mt. Serano, overlooking the wide plain of the Clitunno river system. It offers one of the best views in Umbria, extending over 50 km in most westerly directions. The natural environment of the territory remains largely unspoiled, despite being significantly populated for millennia.
- Altitude: 424 m a.s.l
- Population: about 8500 inhabitants in 2014
- Zip/postal code: 06039
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0742
- Patron Saint: St. Emiliano, celebrated on 28 January
- Demonym: trevani
- Frazioni & Localities: Borgo, Bovara, Cannaiola, Coste, La Pigge, Manciano, Matigge, Parrano, Piaggia, Picciche, San Lorenzo, Santa Maria in Valle.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The most important of the watercourses is the Clitunno River, celebrated in Antiquity as the Clitumnus whose deified waters were reputed to have miraculous properties, and mentioned in the writings of Pliny the Younger, Propertius, Claudian, Addison, Byron and Carducci.
History - Antiquity
Pliny the Elder mentioned Trevi as a city of the ancient Umbrians. Under emperor Hadrian the main road through the territory, the Via Flaminia, encouraged the growth of a suburb in the plain at the place now called Pietrarossa, where excavations have brought to light Roman baths that appear to have been still more or less in use in the time of St. Francis, who is known to have visited the area and to have advised people to bathe there.
History - The Middle Ages
The seat of a bishop until the 11th century, Trevi was a Lombard viceroyalty (gastaldato), then, in the early 13th century, became a free commune, usually allied with Perugia against nearby Spoleto, and fought several wars with other neighboring communes. In 1438 Trevi passed under the temporal rule of the Church as part of the legation of Perugia, and thenceforth its history merges first with that of the States of the Church, until in 1860 it was united to the Kingdom of Italy.
In 1470, along with Foligno, Trevi became the fourth town in Italy to have a printing press, managed by the first known printing company.
Trevi's economy is based on olive oil and tourism. The hills, of a very loose alkaline limestone with excellent drainage, are an ideal terrain for the intensive and highly specialized cultivation of olive trees, that produce a highly prized oil.
What to see
- The Duomo of Sant'Emiliano, a Romanesque building with a carved door and an apse with carved corbels, the interior of which was significantly reworked in the 18th century.
- The Madonna delle Lacrime, a medieval monastery and church with large votive frescoes, including an Adoration of the Magi by Perugino, his last known signed and dated work.
- The church of San Martino, with Lombard lapidary remains and good paintings by Mezzastris.
- The church of San Francesco, a large Gothic building now hosting the Museo San Francesco, with an important collection of Umbrian painting from the late Middle Ages through the 17th century, and ex-votos representative of 16th- through 18th-century folk art.
- The Museo della Civiltà dell'Olivo provides an educational look at the olive oil industry, from the planting of the olive through its processing into oil.