LogoLogo

Gualdo Tadino, Province of Perugia, Umbria

The ancient town in northeastern Umbria, 47 km north-east of Perugia, was renowned in the Middle Ages as a center of ceramic ware; in the late 20th century, the ceramic industry was revived, and today Gualdo is an important center for the manufacture of industrial ceramics and bathroom fittings.

Info

  • Altitude: 536 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 15,000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 06023
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 075
  • Patron Saint: Blessed Angelo from Gualdo Tadino and St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 15 January
  • Demonym: gualdesi
  • Frazioni & Localities: Boschetto, Busche, Broccaro, Voltole, Caprara, Casale, Cerqueto, Corcia, Casone, Crocicchio, Gaifana, Pastina, Grello, Morano Osteria, Morano Madonnuccia, Nasciano, Palazzo Ceccoli, Palazzo Mancinelli, Petroia, Piagge, Pieve di Compresseto, Poggio Sant'Ercolano, Rasina, Rigali, Roveto, San Lorenzo, San Pellegrino, Sant'Antonio di Rasina, Vaccara.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Umbria

History

A Roman town with the name of Tadinum (later Taginae) on the Via Flaminia, was the scene in 552 of the Battle of Taginae, the exact site of which is not known, but thought by most scholars to be a few kilometers from the town, in the plain to the west at a place called Taino, where the Byzantine general Narses briefly restored Italy to the empire by defeating the Ostrogoth king Baduila.

The ancient city survived that war, only to be destroyed in a later war by order of Otho III in 966. It was later rebuilt, only to be destroyed a second time by fire in 1237. Finally, the Emperor Frederick II ordered the city rebuilt for a third time in 1239.