Ala, Province of Trento, Trentino-Alto Adige
This small town is situated in the val Lagarina, and was an ancient border post with Austria. The historical center, with typical cobbled stone paved alleys, is very interesting.
- Altitude: m 210 a.s.l
- Population: about 8800 inhabitants in 2017
- Patron Saint: St. Valentino, celebrated on 14 February and Santa Maria Assunta on 15 August
- Demonym: alensi
- Frazioni & Localities: Chizzola (la Chizzóla), Marani, Pilcante (Pilcànt), Ronchi (Rónchi), Santa Margherita (Santa Margarita), Sdruzzinà, Sega di Ala, Serravalle (Seravàl).
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The Museo del Pianoforte Antico housed in the Palazzo De' Pizzini, where many famous people stayed on their travels in Italy, such as Maria Teresa of Austria, Napoleon Bonaparte and the famous pianist Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart who wrote many pieces in this palace. Most of the pianos here preserved are from Mozart, Schubert and Chopin era and came from the collection of pianist Temenuschka Vesselinova, who often personally welcomes visitors and, on the first Sunday of each month, performs on several pianos of the collection. In addition to being an important stop for piano lovers, the Museo is also a renowned center for piano restoration and conservation.
- 6 km to the south, the Avio Castle, built in the 13th century, with beautiful frescos.