Merano - Meran, Province of Bolzano, Trentino-Alto Adige
- Altitude: 320 m a.s.l
- Population: about 33,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 39012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0473
- Frazioni & Localities: Maia Alta (Obermais), Maia Bassa (Untermais), Quarazze (Gratsch), Sinigo (Sinich).
After World War I, Merano became part of Italy with the rest of the Alto Adige, but unlike Bolzano the plans of the fascist regime to assimilate the German speaking citizens by settling a majority of citizens from other parts of the Italian kingdom failed because of skillful negotations of the city administration led by Baron Marcart. After 1945, it became one of the main tourist sites in the region.
What to see
- The botanic garden, located in the Chateaux Trauttmansdorff.
- The Museum of Tourism, which was opened in spring of 2003 and shows the historical development of tourism in the South Tyrol-Alto Adige.