Carrara, Province of Massa-Carrara, Tuscany
Carrara, world famous for its quarries where the white or blue-gray marble is extracted, is on the Lavensa river, 60 miles northwest of Florence. Carrara marble has been famous since the time of Ancient Rome; the Pantheon and Trajan's Column in Rome, many famous sculptures of the Renaissance, such as Michelangelo's David, Marble Arch in London and the Cathedral of Siena are all made from this greatly appreciated stone. The local marble is exported around the world, and marble from elsewhere is also imported.
- Altitude: 100 m a.s.l
- Population: about 65,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 54033
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0585
- Patron Saint: St. Ceccardo di Luni, celebrated on 16th June
- Frazioni and Localities: Avenza, Bedizzano, Bergiola, Bonascola, Castelpoggio, Codena, Colonnata, Fontia, Fossola, Gragnana, Marina di Carrara, Miseglia, Nazzano, Noceto, Sorgnano, Torano.
The close bond between Carrara and its famous marble quarries dates back to ancient times. The word "Carrara" probably comes from the term "Kar" (stone). Ancient Romans already extracted the marble, loaded it onto ships at the port of Luni and took it to Rome by sea. The municipality of Carrara was first established in 1235. Over the centuries it was ruled by Pisa, Lucca, Genoa and Milan. After the death of Filippo Maria Visconti of Milan in 1477 Carrara was disputed between Tommaso Campogregoso, lord of Sarzana, and the Malaspina family.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook