LogoLogo

Minucciano, Province of Lucca, Tuscany

The town is located in the north-western end of the Garfagnana, on the border with Lunigiana, in a very high gorge of mountains that close two deep valleys, that of the Serchio to the east and the other of the Magra to the west under the sources of the Serchio.

Info

  • Altitude: 697 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 1800 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 55034
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0583
  • Demonym: minuccianesi
  • Patron Saint: San Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 29 September

Demographics - Number of Inhabitants in Census Years

1861: 2354
1871: 2731
1881: 2790
1901: 2816
1911: 3375
1921: 3620
1931: 4320
1936: 4432
1951: 4334
1961: 3657
1971: 3227
1981: 2862
1991: 2678
2001: 2521
2011: 2221
2021: 1826

Genealogy & Links

History

Archaeological finds dating back to the Bronze Age, found near the hermitage of the Beata Vergine del Soccorso and today preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Equi Terme, testify to the ancient origins of an Apuan settlement. The name derives from the Roman consul Quintus Minucius Termus, who according to tradition in the 2nd century BC defeated the Apuans.

At the time of the barbarian invasions the territory of Minucciano became depopulated, then rose again in the early Middle Ages and became a fief of the Malaspinas, powerful lords of Lunigiana, until the 11th century. Subsequently it entered the possessions of Lucca, going through its phase of maximum splendor and also received the privilege of minting its money, the "barbone minuccianese".

Due to its strategic position on the border between Garfagnana and Lunigiana, Minucciano was long disputed between Pisa, Florence, the Visconti family of Milan and the Este family of Ferrara, and in 1447 finally it was annexed to the Republic of Lucca.

Between the end of the 15th century and the mid-19th century, Minucciano was an exclave of Lucca surrounded on all sides by communities belonging to the Este States, the Malaspinas or Tuscany. In 1847, with the Treaty of Florence, Minucciano was annexed to the Duchy of Modena and Reggio. In 1859, at the end of the second war of Italian Independence, it was included in the territory of the United Provinces of Central Italy, the following year it was officially annexed to the Kingdom of Sardinia and then to the Kingdom of Italy.

Minucciano was hit by two violent earthquakes in 1837 and 1920 from which it recovered with tenacity thanks to a solid economy and the strong character of the population.

What to see

  • An entirely pedestrian historic centre with streets paved in stone, the same material used for most of the houses.
  • The church of San Michele Arcangelo
  • At the highest point the ancient tower, the only one with a round plan in Garfagnana (where the towers normally have a square plan), which still strikes the hours today.
  • In the nearby hamlet of Gramolazzo, which developed following the construction of a dam and the formation of the lake, a beautiful lakeside promenade was created, equipped with small beaches, play areas, picnic areas, car parks, camping sites, bars and restaurants.
  • The territory, which partly falls within the Regional Park of the Apuan Alps, is rich in hiking trails and three equipped refuges, all located over 1,000 meters above sea level.
ItalyHeritage on Facebook
Family History
Genealogy ResearchNeed help in your research?
Contact us with details and priorities.
Provinces of Tuscany
Toscana region
Surnames in the Provinces of Toscana
Top