Orbetello, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany
- Population: about 15,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 58010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0564
- Patron Saint: St. Biagio, celebrated on 3 February --
- Frazioni & Localities: Albinia, Ansedonia, Fonteblanda, Giannella, Talamone.
Provinces of Tuscany
In 1557 it was made capital of the Spanish Stato dei Presidi and became an important naval base. In 1707 it passed under the Austrians, and in 1736 under the Kingdom of Naples, to be later in 1801 united to the Dukedom of Tuscany. Finally in 1860 it was united to the Kingdom of Italy.
What to see
- Maremma Regional Park, extending from Principina to Talamone, including areas of Mediterranean vegetation and unspoiled marsh areas near the Ombrone river. In the small center of Talamone the "Acquario della laguna", with specimens of the water fauna of the lagoon.
- The "Oasi della laguna di Orbetello", an international WWF Reserve with a surface area of 26.22 square km, included between the Argentario cape and the mainland, which is an important bird sanctuary.
- The Feniglia Reserve, to the south of the lagoon, with a community of roebucks.
- At Ansedonia, the submerged remains of the Roman port of Cosa and the Tagliata area, made of canals dug by the Romans to facilitate access to the harbor.