Massa Marittima, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany
Situated at about 48 km from Grosseto, in the area of the Colline Metallifere, covered with forests and Mediterranean vegetation. There are mineral springs, mines of iron, mercury, lignite and copper, with foundries, ironworks and olive-oil mills. Along the coast, in the territory of this commune, are the furnaces in which the iron ore of Elba was smelted for centuries. This was the birthplace, in 1380, of San Bernardino da Siena.
- Altitude: 380 m a.s.l
- Population: about 8,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 58024
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0566
- Patron Saint: St. Cerbone, celebrated on 10 October --
- Frazioni & Localities: Capanne, Cura Nuova, Ghirlanda, La Pesta, Niccioleta, Prata, Tatti, Valpiana.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Tuscany
What to see
- The Cathedral of San Cerbone containing a Romanesque font (1267 with a cover of 1447) and a Gothic reliquary (1324) of Saint Cerbone
- The Museum of Mining History
- The medieval borough of Tatti, on a hill at 430 m a.s.l., offering an amazing panorama from the Elba Islein the west, to the southern border of Maremma, and north-east to Monte Amiata.