LogoLogo

Isola del Giglio, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany

The island, mainly montainous with the highest summit of Poggio della Pagana (496 m), is separated by a 16 km stretch of sea from the Argentario promontory.
It is almost wholly covered by Mediterranean vegetation alternating with large pine forests and numerous vineyards which enable the production of the famous "Ansonaco" wine. The coast is 27 km long, made up of rocks, smooth cliffs and several enchanting bays, such as Arenella, Cannelle, Caldane and Campese. The island can be reached by ferry from Porto Santo Stefano.

Info

  • Population: about 1,500 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 58010
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0564
  • Patron Saint: St. Mamiliano, celebrated on 15 September
  • Frazioni & Localities: Isola di Giannutri, Giglio Castello, Giglio Porto, Giglio Campese
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Tuscany

History

The island was probably formed 4.5 - 5 million years ago, and was inhabited since the Iron Age. It was probably an Etruscan military stronghold and under the Roman domination was an important base in the Tyrrhenian Sea.

In 805 it was donated by Charlemagne to the abbey of the Tre Fontane in Rome, and was later a possession of Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani, Orsini families and the commune of Perugia. From 1264 Giglio was a Pisane dominion, from which it passed to the Medici. Alongside its history the island was always renowned for his minerary resources, such as the Gigliese granite.

What to see

  • The Roman villa of Domitius Aenobarbus (1st century AD), in the area of Giglio Porto.
  • The church of San Pietro Apostolo in Giglio Castello has an ivory crucifix attributed to Giambologna

Where to stay