Isola del Giglio, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany
- Population: about 1,500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 58010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0564
- Patron Saint: St. Mamiliano, celebrated on 15 September
- Frazioni & Localities: Isola di Giannutri, Giglio Castello, Giglio Porto, Giglio Campese
Provinces of Tuscany
In 805 it was donated by Charlemagne to the abbey of the Tre Fontane in Rome, and was later a possession of Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani, Orsini families and the commune of Perugia. From 1264 Giglio was a Pisane dominion, from which it passed to the Medici. Alongside its history the island was always renowned for his minerary resources, such as the Gigliese granite.
What to see
- The Roman villa of Domitius Aenobarbus (1st century AD), in the area of Giglio Porto.
- The church of San Pietro Apostolo in Giglio Castello has an ivory crucifix attributed to Giambologna