Castiglione della Pescaia, Province of Grosseto, Tuscany
- Population: about 7,500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 58043
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0564
- Patron Saint: St. Guglielmo d'Aquitania, celebrated on 2 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Ampio, Buriano, Macchia Scandona, Pian d'Alma, Pian di Rocca, Ponti di Badia, Punta Ala, Riva del Sole, Roccamare, Tirli, Vaticino, Vetulonia
Provinces of Tuscany
In the 13th century, Castiglione became an independent comune. Meanwhile, the river Ombrone had started silting up Lake Prile, which soon became a lagoon, where malaria mosquitoes took hold, weakening the population of Castiglione. The town became part of the Grand Dukedom of Tuscany under the dynasty of Lorraine, who started a series of projects that drained the swamps, increasing the amount of arable land, as well as killing off the malaria carrying mosquitoes.
What to see
- The ruins of Vetulonia, one of the leading Etruscan cities.
- The Regional Reservation of Diaccia Botrona, a protected area with noteworthy natural landscapes.