Certaldo, Province of Firenze, Tuscany
Certaldo is a small picturesque town on a hill about 35 km. S.S.W. from Florence, the home of the family of Giovanni Boccaccio, who died and was buried here in 1375. A statue of him was erected in the main square in 1875.
- Altitude: 67 m above sea-level
- Population: about 16,000 inhabitants in 2016
- Zip/postal code: 50052
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0571
- Patron Saint: San Tommaso apostolo, celebrated on 3 July
- Frazioni & Localities: Bagnano, Fiano, Marcialla, Sciano.
What to see
- Boccaccio's house, of red brick, like the other old houses of the town, was restored in 1823 and fitted up with old furniture.
- The Palazzo Pretorio, or Vicariale, the residence of the Florentine governors, with a picturesque facade and court adorned with coats of arms, and in the interior are various frescoes dating from the 13th to the 16th century.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook