Borgo San Lorenzo, Province of Firenze, Tuscany
- Altitude: 193 m a.s.l
- Population: about 17,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 50032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 055
- Patron Saint: St. Lawrence, celebrated on 10 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Casaglia, Grezzano, Luco di Mugello, Panicaglia, Polcanto, Razzolo, Ronta, Sagginale.
Provinces of Tuscany
In 1351 it was surrounded by walls, of which two gates are extant, the Porta Fiorentina and the Porta dell'Orologio. From the Renaissance onwards (1569 to 1859) it was included in the Grand Duchy of Tuscany until the latter became part of the Kingdom of Italy, soon after the Second War of Italian Independence. In 1906 the Chini family established the San Lorenzo ceramics laboratory.
What to see
- The medieval Palazzo del Podestà, rebuilt in the 1919 earthquake
- The Romanesque church of San Lorenzo, with a belltower dated 1263 attached to the apses, hosting inside glassed terracotta works and paintings of the Giotto school
- 3 km outside, along the road leading to Faenza, the church of San Giovanni Maggiore, with an 8-sided belltower of the 11th century, and inside a beautiful ambon decorated with marble tiles in the Florentine style.
- Carnival events, on the last 3 Sundays and Fat Tuesday, parades of allegorical wagons
- Second weekend in June, the Fiera Agricola Mugellana, a trade fair of local agrigultural and farming products
- Third Sunday in September, the oldest marathon event in Italy, held since 1974
- Third weekend in November, market fair of the white truffle, with tastings in the restaurants of the town.