Province of Firenze, Toscana
The larger part of the province of Firenze lies in the plain of the Arno river, and rotates around the city of Florence, while the northeastern area is higher in the Apennines and is much less populated and urbanized. Apart from world-famous Florence, other beautiful centers include Barberino Val d'Elsa, Fiesole, Greve in Chianti and Tavarnelle Val di Pesa.
- Area: 3,514 km²
- Population: about 990,000 inhabitants
- Population Density: 281 per sq km
- Zip/postal codes: 50100
- Phone Area Codes: 055
- Car Plate: FI
- Communes: 44 communes (until 1992 the province included also the communes of Prato, Cantagallo, Carmignano, Poggio a Caiano, Montemurlo, Vaiano and Vernio, which now form the province of Prato).
- According to an administrative reform, from 1 Jan 2014, the Province is scheduled for suppression and fusion with the Provinces of Pistoia and Prato, to establish the "Città metropolitana of Firenze".
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Tuscany
The Comuni in the Province
Bagno a Ripoli | Barberino di Mugello | Barberino Val d'Elsa | Borgo San Lorenzo | Calenzano | Campi Bisenzio | Capraia e Limite | Castelfiorentino | Cerreto Guidi | Certaldo | Dicomano | Empoli | Fiesole | Figline Valdarno | Firenze | Firenzuola | Fucecchio | Gambassi Terme | Greve in Chianti | Impruneta | Incisa in Val d'Arno | Lastra a Signa | Londa | Marradi | Montaione | Montelupo Fiorentino | Montespertoli | Palazzuolo sul Senio | Pelago | Pontassieve | Reggello | Rignano sull'Arno | Rufina | San Casciano in Val di Pesa | San Godenzo | San Piero a Sieve | Scandicci | Scarperia | Sesto Fiorentino | Signa | Tavarnelle Val di Pesa | Vaglia | Vicchio | Vinci
What to see
The province is one of the most fascinating in Italy, for the artistic beauties of the city, but also a great place for shopping:
- Florentine fashion in the ateliers siding the ancient streets of Florence, artistic craft in the workshops in the historical quarters
- The latest fashion and trends in the Mall in Leccio, one of the best-supplied fashion outlets in Italy
- fine ceramics in Montelupo Fiorentino.
- In restaurants and trattorie a taste of typical local products, accompanied by Chianti wines, makes the stay even more enjoyable.
Where to stay
- Official website of the Province: http://www.provincia.fi.it/.