LogoLogo

Capolona, Province of Arezzo, Tuscany

Situated along the right bank of the Arno river, Capolona is the true gateway to the Casentino area, being at the junction of the valleys of Casentino and Valdarno, in a strategic position which made it a key center for the relations between Florence and Arezzo in the centuries.

Info

  • Altitude: 263 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 5000 inhabitants
  • Zip/postal code: 52010
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0575
  • Patron Saint: Nativity of the Virgin Mary, celebrated on 8 September
  • Frazioni & Localities: Bibbiano, Castelluccio, Pieve San Giovanni, San Martino Sopr'Arno
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Tuscany

History

The whole area is rich in castles, fortresses, bridges and churches, witnesses of historic relevance of the area since antiquity. Exactly opposite the present main square of Capolona was a Roman bridge, bombed in WW2, which shows that the center was probably a communication network in Roman times, though no historical documents have been found of the existence of a Roman settlement.

The original name of Campus Leonis and appears in a document of the year 943 AD. The center rose around the Abbey of San Gennaro, founded in 972 by Marquis Hugh of Tuscany.

In 1241 Arezzo besieged and destroyed Capolona and also the Abbey came under the control of the city of Arezzo. In 1384 then it became part of the Florentine Republic. The Commune was established in 1845 with the union of Lorenzano and Baciano and other areas previously belonging to the Commune of Talla.

What to see

  • The Castle of Valenzano
  • Eco Museo del Casentino, Museo dell'Acqua.