Arezzo, Province of Arezzo, Tuscany
- Altitude: 296 m a.s.l
- Population: about 91,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 52100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0575
- Frazioni & Localities: Palazzo del Pero, Rigutino, Alpe di Poti
Provinces of Sicily
During the Middle Ages, much of its earlier architecture was dismantled to reuse the stones for fortifications. Arezzo was an independent city-state from the 11th century until 1384, when it was incorporated into the Tuscan State of Florence, which in 1860 was included in the kingdom of Italy.
What to see
- The Roman amphitheatre and museum.
- The Piazza Grande with the Vasari Loggia.
- The Cathedral of San Donato with good medieval stained glass
- The Romanesque church of Santa Maria della Pieve.
- The church of San Francesco with frescoes by Piero della Francesca.
- The Medici Fortress.
- The Saturday before the last Saturday in June, and First Sunday in September: "Joust of the Saracens" (Giostra del Saracino), held in the Piazza Grande, when knights on horseback representing different areas of the town (Quartieri di Porta S. Spirito, Porta Crucifera, Porta del Foro and Porta S. Andrea) charge at a wooden target attached to a carving of a Saracen king and score points according to accuracy. The whole town gets dressed up in medieval costume and enthusiatically cheers on the competitors.