Castellammare del Golfo, Province of Trapani, Sicily
- Population: about 14,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 91014
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0924
- Patron Saint: Madonna Santissima del Soccorso, celebrated on 21 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Balata di Baida, Scopello
Provinces of Sicily
Segesta, under the influence of the Carthagenians, was for long centuries in conflict with the nearby Greek town of Selinunte. When the Greeks left the island and after the Romans defeated the Carthagenians, Segesta declined in power, whereas the ancient Emporium maintained its importance under the Romans.
A new period began with the arab conquest in 827 AD. The Emporium was renamed Al Madarig, and became a stronghold and commercial center of the Saracens, who also established a first tonnara (tuna capture plant).
In the 11th century the Normans defeated the Arabs, and the place began to be called Castello a mare; in the Aragonese period (1281 -1410), the town was a barony of Federico d'Antiochia and an important grain trade port. A remarkable development took place in the following centuries, when the name Castellammare del Golfo began to be used.
- 21 August, Historical re-enactment of the English attack to the harbor, when the town was miraculously saved by the Madonna di l'assicursu (Madonna del soccorso).