Ispica, Province of Ragusa, Sicily
- Altitude: 170 m a.s.l
- Population: about 15,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 97014
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0932
Provinces of Sicily
In the 14th century it was a fiefdom of the Chiaramonte family, then passed to the Cabrera, who sold it in 1453 to Antonio Caruso from Noto, whose descendant married in 1493 Francesco Maria Statella; since then, until the suppression of the feudal system in 1806 the town stayed under the Statella family. It was hit by a terrible earthquake in 1693 then reconstructed in the area called parco Forza.
What to see
- The monastery of San Francesco
- The Palazzo Marchionale
- The Centoscale, a tunnel in the rock with 280 steps.
- The enchanting Cava d'Ispica, a long deep calcareous ravine with traces of the Neolithic period
- The Della Forza Archaeological Park with collections of items from prehistoric times to 1693.