Gioiosa Marea, Province of Messina, Sicily
- Population: about 7,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 98063
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0941
Provinces of Sicily
After the ruinous earthquake of 5 february 1783, the fourth in the century, and a disastrous locust invasion that caused a terrible famine, what was left of the population decided to reconstruct their town on the coast, where they established a fishing community that developed in recent years into a pleasant tourist resort.
What to see
- The ruins of the Aragonese castle on Monte Meliuso
- The Torre Vinciguerra, established as a fortress by founder Vinciguerra Aragona in 1366.
- Gioiosa Vecchia, 800 m a.s.l., on a natural fortified position, on capo Calavà, used as a sighting post, together with the castles of Patti and Tindari, to control all sea routes from Sicily to the Aeolian islands and the Italian peninsula.
- The Grotto of Gioiosa Marea, consisting of three separate chambers connected through corridors and tunnels, with a wondrous number of stalactites and stalagmites of great beauty.