Casalvecchio Siculo, Province of Messina, Sicily
39 Km from Messina and only 20 Km from the beautiful Taormina, Casalvecchio Siculo is a small town on the Southern Peloritani mountains, with the Monte Sant'Elia and the Agrò river below.
- Altitude: 400 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 98032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0942
- Patron Saint: St. Onofrio Anacoreta.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
What to see
- The Norman abbey of SS. Pietro and Paolo d'Agrò, an Italian national monument, originally a Byzantine abbey, then heavily damaged in the 1169 earthquake and rebuilt in 1172 by the Normans in white stones and black lava rock, one of the most interesting monuments in Sicily and the whole world. It was a medieval place of culture, with a rich library of illuminated manuscripts, now preserved in museums such as the Biblioteca Regionale Universitaria in Messina, the Escorial in Spain and the Vatican Apostolic Library in Rome.
- The 17th century church of Sant'Onofrio Anacoreta, in the Baroque style, with a precious silver-wrought statue of the patron, made in 1745 by Giuseppe Aricò from Messina, it seems as a vow to protect the local population from the plague.
- The protected area of Piano Vernà a wide forest with luxuriant vegetation and rich fauna, equipped with picnic areas, an ideal destination for trekking itineraries.