LogoLogo

Troina, Province of Enna, Sicilia

This town of very ancient origin, of strategic importance for the communications between eastern and western Sicily, was fortified since antiquity, and until not long ago the highest part was dominated by a huge, massive fortress with many towers and four entrance gates.

Info

  • Altitude: 1120 m a.s.l
  • Area: 168 km²
  • Population: about 9,000 inhabitants in 2019
  • Zip/postal code: 94018
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0935
  • Demonym: troinesi
  • Patron Saint: St. Silvestro from Troina celebrated on 2 January.
  • GPS Coordinates: 37°47'N 14°36'E

History - Antiquity

Archeological research, mostly carried out to the University of Cambridge, has shown that the area was inhabited by man since very ancient times, and Neolytic necropolis and a countryside farm going back to 6,000 BC were excavated on Mount Muganà. The medieval town rose on the ruins of an ancient Siculian center, probaly called Enghion, celebrated in antiquity for a sanctuary to Meteres.

History - the Middle Ages

In 878 AD it was conquered by the Saracens, and in 1062 by the Normans, led by Count Roger, who established his residence in Troina, founded the monastery of San Basilio and the first Norman diocese in Sicily. In the centuries of Saracen rule it was an example of co-existence of Christian and Muslim culture, as can still be seen in the Arab architecture of the district called Scalforio.

History - Modern Times

A large part of the center was destroyed by Allied bombings (Operation Husky) in the days 1 to 6 August 1943, which claimed over 100 civilian victims. After the Second World War, an economic boom came with the building of the Ancipa dam.

An important development came in the early 1950s with the establishemnt of the "Oasi of Troina" by don Luigi Ferlauto, strongly supported by Pope Pius XII, which concentrated on the assistance and research of neurological syndromes such as epilepsy, Down, Alzheimer. Little by little the scientific importance of the center grew, thanks to the donations of the people of Sicily, and it is now a reference center for the WHO and Unicef. The newest project, don Ferlauto's dream, is to create an open town, with no physical or psychological barriers, where the guests of the Oasi can live before returning to their own places.

What to see

  • The parish church, of Norman origin, with a neoclassical facade of the late 18th century, which preserves inside a fine painting representing the Assumption by Giuseppe Velasquez, an enameled pastoral in the Gothic style, a ring donated by Count Roger.

Where to stay