Troina, Province of Enna, Sicilia
- Altitude: 1120 m a.s.l
- Area: 168 km²
- Population: about 9,000 inhabitants in 2019
- Zip/postal code: 94018
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0935
- Demonym: troinesi
- Patron Saint: St. Silvestro from Troina celebrated on 2 January.
- GPS Coordinates: 37°47'N 14°36'E
Provinces of Sicily
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages
History - Modern Times
An important development came in the early 1950s with the establishemnt of the "Oasi of Troina" by don Luigi Ferlauto, strongly supported by Pope Pius XII, which concentrated on the assistance and research of neurological syndromes such as epilepsy, Down, Alzheimer. Little by little the scientific importance of the center grew, thanks to the donations of the people of Sicily, and it is now a reference center for the WHO and Unicef. The newest project, don Ferlauto's dream, is to create an open town, with no physical or psychological barriers, where the guests of the Oasi can live before returning to their own places.
What to see
- The parish church, of Norman origin, with a neoclassical facade of the late 18th century, which preserves inside a fine painting representing the Assumption by Giuseppe Velasquez, an enameled pastoral in the Gothic style, a ring donated by Count Roger.