Calascibetta, Province of Enna, Sicilia
- Population: about 5,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 94010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0935
Provinces of Sicily
In 1428 king Alphonse gave to a Jewish community the quarter that still today is called "Giudea". Under Carles V in 1535 Calascibetta was given as a fiefdom to Ludovico Vernagallo, but the town collected the funds necessary to buy back its independence, which the emperor granted, along with exemption from custom duties. Again in 1668 the town had to ransom its independence with Charles II of Spain, who granted Calascibetta the title of "Fidelissima".
What to see
- The parish church of San Pietro and Santa Maria Maggiore, with an inscription along the left side of the main portal, declaring the origin of the town: "Rogerius comes et templi fundator et urbis" (=count Roger founder of both the church and the town). The church hosts an invaluable collection of art works, as well as a treasury with ancient items and relic holders.
- The church of Maria Santissima del Carmelo, inside which there is a fine marble sculpture, The Annunciation, the work of Antonello Gagini.