Zafferana Etnea, Province of Catania, Sicilia
Founded in 1387, it is situated 59 km far from Catania, in the upper part of the Valle del Bove. It is a beautiful summer holiday resort on the slopes of the Etna volcano, from where you can see the valley with the sea on the back.
Many times it was destroyed by lava streams from the volcano, and it has always been rebuilt. Its name came from the typical plant of saffron, which is among the few herbal species that could survive and grow on this particular terrain.
- Population: about 8,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 95019
- Dialing Area Code: +39 095
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
What to see
- The Municipal Palace
- The Palace of Comunal Park
- The parish church Maria SS. della Provvidenza. situated in the central Piazza Umberto I, with a Baroque facade with twin bell towers to each side and interesting works of art such as a 19th-century canvas painting of Saint Joseph and the Child by Giuseppe Sciuti.
- Sites of both naturalistic and historical interest, in the city surroundings, such as the Bove Valley,with the ancient craters of Rocca degli Zappini and Serra Giannicola Grande, and the Sentiero Natura di Monte Zoccolaro with a wonderful wood of chestnut.
- On the second Sunday of August there is the Festa of Madonna della Provvidenza
- Traditional festival of grapes, bottled fruit, mushrooms, honey, good wine and chestnuts in October.