Randazzo, Province of Catania, Sicilia
- Altitude: mt 765 a.s.l
- Population: about 11.000 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 95036
- Dialing Area Code: +39 095
- Patron Saint: SS Maria Assunta, celebrated on 15 August; San Giuseppe, celebrated on 19 March
- Frazioni & Localities: Flascio, Monte la Guardia, Murazzorotto.
Provinces of Sicily
History - Antiquity
History - the Middle Ages
In 1210 Emperor Frederick and his wife Costanza of Aragona took refuge in Randazzo from the plague that was spreading in Palermo, and appreciating the climate and great hospitality of the people, fortified the town establishing there his residence. In the following centuries the history of Randazzo followed that of the whole island, and was a sequel of different dominations. Other kings and emperors stayed in Randazzo, among them Charles V of Spain, who, moved by the generos welcome of the people, proclaimed they were all knights.
History - Modern Times
What to see
- Remains of the medieval walls originally 3-km long, probably built in the Swabian period (13th century, which had originally 8 towers and 12 doors, of which today only one tower, called Il Castello, and four doors (Aragonese, San Martino, San Giuseppe and Pugliese Doors) remain.
- The Swabian church of Santa Maria, with a facade completely built with black lava stone, three polygonal apses in the form of towers and 15th-century side portals in the Catalan-Gothic style; the huge interior is divided into three naves by black monolithic columns, and preserves statues by the Gagini school and six paintings by Giuseppe Velasquez (1750-1827).
- The ancient church of San Nicolò, the largest in town, originally established in the 14th century but rebuilt in 1585, with important work of Antonello and Giacomo Gagini, and in the right nave a tryptich by Messinese painters
- The church of San Martino with a superb 14th-century bell tower, by some acclaimed as the most beautiful in Italy
- The Castle, the only left of the eight medieval towers, on a high lava rock, already existing at the time of Frederick II of Swabia, was for a time the seat of the Giustiziere del Valdemone (a kind of medieval judge and governor) and a prison, then became the mansion of the Romeo e Vagliasindi families, to become again a prison in later centuries. A sinister building, with tiny cells, torture chamber, the well for those who were sentenced to be buried alive. After a recent restoration the castle is used today as an exhibition center and houses a collection of "Pupi siciliani" and the Paolo Vagliasindi archeological museum.
- 11 km to the south west, the Abbey of Maniace also called the Nelson castle. Founded in 1174 by Margaret of Blois, where Greek general Georgos Maniace defeated the Saracens in 1060, it was donated by King Ferdinand IV in 1799 to admiral Nelson, and transformed by the latter's descendants into a rich mansion with a fine garden rich of exotic plants.