Milo, Province of Catania, Sicilia
Midway between the Etna mountain and only 10 Km from the Ionian Sea, is among the highest towns in the Etna Park. Its economy is based on tourism in the summer, vine cultivation and timber.
- Altitude: 750 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 95010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 095
- Patron Saint: St. Andrea, celebrated on the last Sunday in July
- Frazioni & Localities: Fornazzo, Caselle
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
The name comes from the greek "milos" connected to the dark color of lava rock. It was founded in the 14th century by Giovanni of Aragon, duke of Randazzo, and was a frazione of Giarre until 1923 then of Sant'Alfio until 1955 when it became an independent municipality.
What to see
- The Piazza Belvedere, which offers a view going as far as Calabria.
- The church of Sant'Andrea, built in 1340 by Giovanni d'Aragona, restored in the early 18th century.
- Along Via Etnea "l'abbiviraturi" a fountain for cattle built in lava stone
- The frazione of Fornazzo, a very quiet, picturesque village, awarded by environmental magazine in 1992 the nomination of "Villaggio Ideale d'Italia".