Caltagirone, Province of Catania, Sicilia
Situated in a picturesque position among the Hyblean mountains, the town is famous for majolica productions. It appears like an ochre-colored nativity, with churches and Baroque bell towers.
- Altitude: 608 m a.s.l
- Population: about 39,000 inhabitants in 2012
- Zip/postal code: 95041
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0933
- Patron Saint: DATE san Giacomo il Maggiore, celebrated on 25 July, Maria SS. del Ponte, celebrated on 26 and 27 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Albanazzo, Colleggiata (Collegiata), Favarella, Granieri, Mulino Buongiovanni, Piano Carbone, Piano San Paolo, Rangasia, San Basilio - Casa Prete, San Mauro, Santo Pietro Serra Fornazzo, Signore del Soccorso, Villa Gravina, Villa Grazia
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
In 1693 it was destroyed by an earthquake, and was reconstructed in the Baroque style. It was the native place of Don Luigi Sturzo, the founder of the Partito Popolare (later Democrazia Cristiana).
What to see
- The Scala
- The church of Santa Maria del Monte
- The church San Giorgio
- The Municipio Public Square
- The Cathedral of San Giuliano.