Villafranca Sicula, Province of Agrigento, Sicilia
- Altitude: 326 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1400 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 92020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0925
- Patron Saint: St. Eucarpio, celebrated on 18 March
Provinces of Sicily
The name came either by a tax exemption granted to the people who settled in the new village, or from a land-surveyor to the service of the Alliata whose name was Calcerano Viliafranca. The new village was inhabited by a colony of workers coming from Salaparuta, previously founded also by the Alliata family.
What to see
- The remains of the Castle of the Alliata princes (16th century)
- The Parish church (whose origins date back to 1540), in the form of a basilica with three naves, destroyed by an earthquake in 1968 and reopened for worship in 2008.
- The clock tower, located in the center of the Corso, attached to the Parish church and the Alliata palace, which is equipped with a pendulum clock with three bronze bells minted by the famous foundry Virgadamo of Burgio.
- Villa Musso, in the middle of a hill just outside the village, called also "Casina", now owned by the City but originally a countryside mansion of Baron Giuseppe Antonio Musso (1860 -1922), a philanthropist, who bequeathed the villa to the poor families of Villafranca Sicula.
- The murals, made in 1991 by painter Giovanni Smeraldi, consisting of four large paintings representing the traditions of the area.