Naro, Province of Agrigento, Sicilia
Naro, situated among hills at 520 m a.s.l., was probably a Greek town, named after the river flowing nearby (Naron means river). Remains of Roman villas in the area show it was probably inhabited at the time, though the present settlement dates to the Middle Ages.
Today mostly an agricultural center, producing an abundance of grapes, wheat, olives, citrus fruits and almonds, and with a lively cattle sector, the town has also a renowned woodcraft trade of local artist-craftsmen.
- Altitude: 596 m a.s.l
- Population: about 8200 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 92028
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0922
- Patron Saint: St. Calogero, celebrated on 18 June
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
The town rose in the l2th century around an Arab hamlet, then in 1233 Frederick II of Swabia granted the town the privileges of a royal city (that is, independent from feudal lords). In the 13th century it was surrounded by walls, and became a strategically important stronghold, dominating a wide territory.
Later on, the town came under the control of the Chiaramonte family, and the imposing castle was built. In 1398 then Naro returned under the direct control of the monarchy. In the Second World War Naro suffered heavy Allied aerial bombings.
What to see
- The Castello Chiaramonte.
- The 16th century Chiesa del SS. Salvatore, in the baroque style.
- The parish church, built in the 17th century by the Jesuits, containing fine art works: a baptismal font made in 1424 by Mastro Nardo de Crepanzano, a marble group representing the Holy Family by the Gagini school, a 16th century Madonna della Catena by Giacomo Gagini, an 18th century painting by Domenico Provenzani representing the Annunciation, and, in the sacristy locals, impressive wooden furniture, brought here from the original cathedral that was abandoned in the mid-19th century.
- The Sanctuary of San Calogero, one of the most ancient in Sicily, with a crypt containing the statue of Santo Nero, the town's patron saint.