Comitini, Province of Agrigento, Sicilia
Situated just 15Km from Agrigento, Comitini rises amid hills at over 300m a.s.l., and has a mainly agricultural economy based on the cultivation of grapes, almonds, olive trees and citrus.
- Altitude: 346 m a.s.l
- Population: about 900 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 92020
- Phone Area Code: 0922
- Patron Saint: St. Giacomo Maggiore, celebrated on 25 July.
Follow us on Facebook
Provinces of Sicily
The little town was founded in 1627 by Gastone Bellacera on a hill named Comitini, which probably also explains the name. In 1673 Michele Gravina was appointed prince of the town. In the 19th century also the extraction of sulfur frum the mines in the territory gave a new impulse to the economy and there was a remarkable population growth.
What to see
- The parish church of San Giacomo Maggiore, built in 1675 in the Sicilian Baroque style
- two fine palaces, Palazzo Bellacera (construction begun in 1631) and the earlier, 16th-century Palazzo Baronale
- The Chiesa della SS.ma Immacolata, with attached monastery
- In the vicinity, the ruins of a Roman rural settlement probably dating back to the 1st century AD, formed by several rooms, where pottery items and other fine decorated home tools were found during recent excavations.