Situated in the western part of the Asinara Gulf, about 50 km from Sassari, the small center was a typical fishermen's village, but most of the ancient houses are now used for tourism. There are two harbours, Porto Minore, and Porto Mannu, and one among the most enchanting beaches in Sardinia, the Beach of Pelosa, as well as other famous beaches, such as the Saline and Punta Negra.
- Altitude: 9 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 07040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 079
- Patron Saint: Beata Vergine della Difesa, celebrated on 8th September
- Frazioni & Localities: Cala Lupo, Cala Reale, Capo Falcone Ercoli, Fioreddu, La Pelosa, Le Tonnare, Le Vele, Nanni Doro, Nodigheddu, Ovile del Mercante, Ovile Nuovo, Pischina Salidda, Pittiacca, Pozzo San Nicola, Preddu Nieddu, Rocca Ruja, Tamerici, Tanca Manna, Tonnara Saline, Unia
Follow us on Facebook
Stintino was founded in 1885, for the fishermen who used to live in the island of Asinara, when a jail was built on the island, and the farmers and fishermen were forced to leave their homes and move to the promontory of Capo Falcone. Today the island of Asinara is a natural park.
What to see
- The church of the Immacolata Concezione, with a statue of the Madonna della Difesa.
- The Torre Pelosa, that gives the name to the beautiful beach in front of it, and on the promontory of Capo Falcone the Torre del Falcone, with a wonderful view of the whole western coast.
- The ponds of Pilo, Saline and Casaraccio
- The Tonnara delle Saline (tunny-fishing centres), built in the 17th century, abandoned only in the late 1960's.
- End of August: the Vela Latina regatta, Italy's most important event dedicated to this type of historical sailing boat.